Hello world! Oh how long has it been since I last posted? FAR too long, I think. It’s been the usual student stuff – “Oh, I’m so busy!” “I’m drowning in work while I watch Netflix all day” “I want to cry and die” you know, the usualz.
Today, I actually experimented in the kitchen again. It feels so darn good! I’ve actually been sticking to what I know, or *gasps* having taking out. Not to say take out isn’t delicious and not to mention minimum effort (which makes it a huuuuuge plus), but I just really miss cooking – and actually enjoying it.
I was stuck – again, as usual – today with the eternal “what should I make for dinner tonight?” I swear, if I ask one question all the time – it’s that one. And I actually feel sorry for those around me when it’s nearing dinner time and I haven’t thought about what to cook..
So, today I scrolled through Pinterest with the keywords eggplant and dinner and came up with Eggplant Parmesan. Now, obviously, I didn’t come up with everything on my own – I had a little help here and there and, in the end, came up with a dish to my own style (and my fridge’s of course).
- 1 medium sized eggplant
- bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- half a chopped onion
- minced garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 2 – 3 tbsp cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsbp dried basil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese
- 1/2 cup greated Gouda Cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese (+ whatever amount of extra you’d like)
- Slice your eggplant into about 1-inch slices and sprinkle them with some salt and set them on a paper towel for at least 15-20 mins so that the excess moist comes off
- Preheat your oven to 175 C
- Dab the eggplant and dip it into the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumb mixture – one at a time. I actually added some seasoning to my breadcrumb mixture since it was completely plain. I added some complete seasoning and some chili flakes. I coated only one side of the eggplant in the breadcrumb mixture – apparently that makes it even better. (I can’t argue…)
- Once you’ve dipped and coated all slices of eggplant, pop them into the oven for about 15 mins at 175C.
- In the mean time, make your sauce (unless you’ve got a store bought sauce, then you can just skip this step). Heat up some oil in a pan and add some chopped onion and minced garlic. Once that’s translucent, add your tomato paste, spinach, and water. Let that simmer for 10 minutes. Add your seasoning (salt and pepper, basil, red chili flakes). Add the cream cheese and stir well.
- Spray some cooking spray into an oven dish. Spread some of the sauce on the bottom and add an even layer of eggplant. Sprinkle some feta, gouda, and parmesan cheese over it. Spread some sauce again, add an even layer of eggplant, top with cheese, etc. until you’re out of sauce and eggplant. Make sure you finish with a layer of delicious cheese.
- Pop that into the oven for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and everything is wonderful.
I honestly didn’t think this would be that good, but hey, anything drowning in cheese is delicious, isn’t it? Let me know if you try this out, I’d seriously love to know and see!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them in the comments below!
Thanks for stopping by,
Are we friends on social media, yet? Follow me to stay in touch!!